Well hello fall!
As the summer weather slowly takes its leave, the patios around Austin start to look a little more inviting and for the outdoorsy folks among us, I’d like to list some of my favorite places to enjoy this lovely fall-ish weather.
- Mozart’s Coffee Roasters
- It’s on the lake. Like…on it. You can actually sit for hours pounding bottomless coffee for $3.50, musing about your thesis, and never have a server pushing you to leave.
- The Shady Grove
- It’s in a prime people watching area with free live music every Thursday. Happy Hour favorites include ½ price Green Chili Cheese Fries and $4 margs. And before you ask, yes, in Texas margaritas are an all weather drink.
- Draught House Pub & Brewery
- There are too many beer options to even mention. Plus they have daily specials. Plus they have different food trucks in their parking lot every day. Plus the patio is chill. In the words of my favorite beer drinking Austrian former governator Arnold, “Do it now!”
- G’Raj Mahal
- Gorgeous patio. Yummy wines, even better food. Buy the cooks a beer for an extra buck and make everyone’s night.
- El Alma
- Cool rooftop patio right next to Barton Springs. Perfect post-biking/tennis/kickball recovery spot complete with amazing cucumber mojitos, duck enchiladas, and stuffed jalapenos. Happy hour everyday from 3-6pm. Do it now.
- Moontower Saloon
- Two thumbs up for a huge space filled with games, cheap drinks, and a great crowd. Washers, volleyball, pool, cornhole, firepits, food trucks…if you want to avoid the mess that is downtown head south where the parking and fun is aplenty.
- A little seedy, a little dirty, but a lot of fun. Trivia nights, $2 wells/domestics during happy hour, occasional sock hops, and vintage tunes on the jukebox. Be nice to the door gentlemen; $2 Tuesdays attract all kinds.
- Spider House
- Quirky Austin hangout in a vibrant atmosphere with something for everyone. Sit inside at a cozy leather booth to study and drink dirty horchata with your group or sit outside in a metal swing with your sweetie and drink $6 Bulleit mules. Live music nights and dance parties welcome. ‘Nuff said.
- Olive & June
- There’s a tree growing through the middle of the multi-leveled decks dotted with date-worthy tables and covered in twinkling lights. Hit up their delicious happy hour Mon-Fri from 5-6:30pm for ½ off beer, cocktails, and antipasti. Don’t skip the polenta with mushrooms and farm eggs; it is the perfect comfort app with your red wine on a chill day.
- Treat yourself to a decadent brunch one Sunday morning on this crisp nautical patio and do some serious SoCo people watching. The crab Florentine is life changing and their bloody Mary will cure any sort of class/beer/breakup hangover you may have acquired the night before.